Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

The white side

Another kitchen post. We are getting there slowly but surely. I hired a handyman to come help finish off a few things and he was well worth it! Several items checked off my list in a handful of hours = well worth it. William the handyman was great and if any of you Chuck readers need his number, I'll hook you up! 


So happy to see this little guy. I don't know how William did it, but this is muchhh better than the gaping hole of florescent light that was up there. 


More importantly it let me hang my over the sink light that several of you helped me pick via facebook and instagram! Option 2 was our winner and I'm glad I agreed with most of you. The light came from Cedar and Moss. Check them out, they have several really pretty fixtures  I would love to hang from my ceilings! {or walls }


Here is the view looking straight down with both light fixtures installed. A little hard to see here since the kitchen is so massive, but they look super chic paired together.


 But back to the main focus of this story; the cabinets MLW's granddad built for us! William added some trim at the bottom to finish them off and a spacer so they were a little closer to the stove. {I kept dropping things down there}


My first step was to caulk the insides and any seams so everything would have a smooth finish. Also, trash bags are my floor coverings of choice.


Hey Kilz, I missed you! NOT.


I hate painting with this stuff, but it works. 2 coats of high fume super sticky paint later and I was ready to move on to the uppers. Priming is necessary step. {blerg}


Had to tape off my new pretty vent hood, but then I was able to get to painting the insides . These cabinets were gross!


I know its a little hard to tell, but the  upper shelf is the old color, and the lower the new. See how yellow and nasty the old paint looked? Yuck!


But then came 2 coats of my BM Decorators white, and a little dressing up with hardware!


This did happen though. I measured everything and marked it as I had all the lowers on the opposite side, but as soon as I drilled the hole I knew I'd made a massive mistake. I called MLW in for a second opinion and he looked at it and said "you're going to fix that right?" It honestly looked ridiculous. So I marked the middle of the panel and installed a knob there with much more successes.


Luckily it was an easy fix, with just a little bit of wood filler and more paint. Now all the hardware is ready to rock!


Don't get too excited, this is just our cutting board that I strategically photographed. But, we do have a butcher block piece on order to top this off. The door styling is just a little different than what we could recreated with our DIY shaker doors. So we are going to celebrate the difference and make it a feature in the kitchen. Also having a piece of butcher block will help with food prep and keeping the marble etch and stain free!

I can't wait to show ya'll once the countertop comes in and I finish everything on the uppers.

Love,
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment