Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

The Wavy Wonky Thing Over The Kitchen Sink

This post shall be known as TWWTOTKS, or the longest post title ever. I thought it was fitting, since I've recently had the longest blogging radio silence ever. My apologies.

But, back to TWWTOTKS. I fixed it! It was just a little too country for me. I'm more rustic, industrial, glam than country.

So here is how it all went down:


TWWTOTKS. No explanation needed.


Someone back in the day put a lot of craftsmanship into this and while I appreciate the work, its just not my style. 


First step was to hold up 2 pieces of wood to make sure the width would cover the side wonkyness. These are the exact trim pieces I'm using to add the shaker detail to the cabinet doors so there would be some consistency from top to bottom.


Next step was to measure the wood for the length I needed.


And then I brought in the in the big guns. Hello, nail gun and air compressor. Long time, no see? I wood glued these guys down as well for extra durability.


With both sides up, I step back to make sure they looked nice and even.


Fast forward a week later and we are done painting the LAST row of the upper cabinetry. This included the wood side pieces I added.


See that green thing being help up over the light? That is my "fauxman shade." Its a fake roman shade  and is literally fabric taped to a piece of wood and then folded, iron tapped and sewn together. Young House Love has a great tutorial here, I modified my folds a little bit to suit my needs.


See a piece of wood wrapped with fabric and clamped to the last bit of wavy wonkyness. I then measured, leveled,  drilled and....


Boom! It is square! And Modern! TWWTOTKS is gone! I am honestly a little shocked that this idea of mine worked, but it did.


Now if we can just get some cabinet doors back on, we will be ready to rock!


More updates soon!
Love,
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment