Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Terrarium

This has been on my to do list for a while now and I'm so happy with the results.


First let me say that I am not and will never be a huge fan of faux flowers/plants. But I've got to admit I'm really good at killing real plants and Hobby Lobby has some really great options. {They're faux ranunculus are pretty darn fantastic}


So with the empty Ikea terrarium I purchased over a year ago I decided to give faux terrarium making a go.  Its the white square looking thing in the far right corner. {Bear!}


First I did a massive Hobby Lobby run to gather all my supplies. Michaels has some faux florals, but  they are not up to par.


Not so bad looking, eh?



So for my first attempt I just threw the rocks in. I really like the look of layered ground cover and I though the rocks and moss would be enough.


They weren't. I place a few plants in there and it just looked dumb.


So out to the garage I went and dumped some potting soil in.


Add the river rocks on top and things are already muuuuch better.


Then I just started placing plants.


The soil and rocks did a perfect job of holding the succlents where I wanted.



I got everything all layered up and added my moss. So happy!


Even better was that I ended up only using 1/3 of what I bought. This wasn't the cheapest terrarium to make and probably would cost about the price a live one. However, I won't be replacing plants in this puppy!


I mean really! It looks so good. I don't think you would know they were faux unless I told you, or you happen to read this blog.


So back up on the shelf they went. I've got to learn to photograph in the den a little better. The glare is ridiculous!

See ya'll soon!
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment