Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

X Bench Redo

I've got another DYI for ya'll. This time we moved it into the master bed room. Our master is huuuuge, and our queen size bed looked like it was floating in the middle of the room. I've been obsessed with a good x-bench for a long time and figured that a pair would be perfect at the foot of the bed. But once again, the benches I loved came at a hefty price. Then I found this on SMP living. How perfect! I checked stock at my local Target and they had two, so first thing the next day I went and swooped them up. One was a little janky so I asked the cashier for a discount and *poof* 15% off.
They have been sitting around patiently waiting for their turn in the dyi circuit and last night I decided it was time.


So here are the benches in all their pleather glory. But, at about $80 bucks each, they were way less expensive than any other x bench option I could find.


The tools of the trade. I'm all about a no-sew project. I can't cut a straight line to save my life, so the batting was there to help me clean up my edges. 


SMP has a great tutorial on their page, but I wanted to prove that even us average girls can conquer this project. The first step was to remove the screws that attached the seat to the "x" part of the bench. 


Ernie, thought this part was really cool. 


Like the SMP redo, I wanted to add more height to the original bench seat. I got a 2 inch foam at Hancock's Fabric and traced around it with an exacto knife. I got really lucky as only one side of the foam needed a trim. 


Ernie helped me by removing the excess. 


And proceeded to tear it into shreds while Maybe watched.


I next sprayed a good coat of spray adhesive onto the foam. Definitely take this step outside as the surrounding area can get very tacky. 


I cut my batting to size and stapled it around the seat making sure the batting was smooth and tight all the way around. 


Flip it over and viola! Starting to look like a fluffier cushion. 


My fabric of choice. Everything in the room is looking a little blue, but we are about to switch over to our white winter bedding and that will break the color up. 


Repeat the stapling step the same as with the batting and there you go! 


Next step was to reattach the x part and things were starting to look good. The SMP called for spray painting the legs, but the jury is still out on that. The legs actually match our closet doors and other furniture pretty darn perfect so I think I will leave them for now. Who knows though. I'm currently having a love affair with gold spray paint so they could head that direction too. 


The finished bench and original side by side. I really like the added height of the seat cushion. Gives the bench a little more umph and weight in such a large room. 
Of course this project was not without its hiccups. I ran out of fabric. Yep, thats right. I got one bench done and realized I didn't have enough to cover all the sides. One emergency phone call to my Mom later though and I think I've secured another yard of fabric. Woo! Project Saved. 
I'm hoping to get both done soon though. MLW and I seem to be doing projects about 60% and then moving on to something else. It is making our house a little bit of a disaster zone, so I'm really looking forward to checking some projects off as 100%. 

Anyone else have a DYI project they only made it halfway through? 

Happy Fall! 

No comments:

Post a Comment