Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Electricity and Spray Paint

I'm sorta the worlds biggest scardy cat. I'm afraid to take things out of the oven because I don't want to get burned, I hate heights, and I basically think the house is going to fall down around us at any point.  So having to take a light off the wall and touch the wiring was up there on my don't do it or you'll die list. However, my desire to wallpaper the bathroom eventually won out and I decided that the itty bitty baby light in the bath room couldn't do me too much harm?
The first step involved figuring out which switch to flip on the circuit breaker to cut the electricity to the bathroom. That basically meant I opened the bathroom window while MLW started flipping switches      in the garage. When the bathroom light went out I yelled "got it" and thats how we figured out that switch 18 cuts out the power in all the bedrooms and the the guest bath. But ironically not the hallway? Electricity is weird.


I made the sure the switch on the wall was turned off as well and then basically just unscrewed the light fixture and pulled it off the wall. There were only 2 wires I had to detach, noting black went to black and white to white. So far, pretty easy. 


The hardest part was probably cutting the wallpaper around the opening. I did a pretty wonky job, but luckily the fixture covers any of the crazy edges. 


I let everything get nice and dry before I even thought of turning the electricity back on. Then I took a look at the light fixture. The shape and size of it worked fine, but I had been a little messy with the kilz when I primed a few months back. So guess what? I decided to spray paint it gold. I had a can of the Krylon Metallic in Brilliant Gold laying around with just enough left for a few coats. 


This is what the original fixture looked like, see the white paint peeking around the edges? I'm a messy painter what can I say. 


Boom. Gold. 


A few hours later once the paint had dried, I just did everything I did to take the light down in reverse. Then I fliped the breaker back on and gave her a go. Light! And no burning smell! And I didn't get electrocuted or die! This gave me a little more confidence with switching out lights, so now I'm hoping I can handle most of them as we start to upgrade them throughout the house. Stay tuned..

No comments:

Post a Comment